Friday, December 25, 2009

A harrowing shopping experience of my life…

A couple of days earlier, I along with my sister went shopping for a couple of sarees and dresses. We know most of the good shops in Ahmedabad. And just when we were entering a complex, we came across a market complex called Sree Niketan.

It is located on C G Road, one of the up-market places of Ahmedabad and there are many well known shops for women's wear out there. Hence a lot of women too who wander around and do a little of window shopping at most of the shops in the complex.

Sree Niketan though is not a very well known place but at times you get good pieces there. However, we were aware of its eccentric owner. Nevertheless, we went in assuming that why do we need to bother about the owner. If we find a good piece there then that should do.

We went in and are asked as to what we were looking for. To which we reply casually, "Both dresses and sarees but sarees first." A curt reply from the owner comes in "eno charge lagshe" (it will be charged). With surprise we stared at each other in bewilderment assuming we had heard something wrong or that he was talking to someone else.

We even tried to find a smile on his face just to make sure that he was just joking, but we failed as we didn’t find any. Instead he was staring right at us, firm at his stand. I couldn't believe it and just to confirm I asked, "You've got to be joking, right?!" And he says, "No joking, to see sarees you will be charged." We were speechless.

Dumb founded. I couldn't believe what was happening and because I was numbed and it was too much to handle we left the place saying that it was the silliest thing we had ever heard. But after gaining a little bit of sense and realising what had happened was indeed an insult to possible customer.

For a few hours from then we were fuming (I am still and hence this article). I, however, taught that fellow a lesson the desi (rabari) way, one that he shall remember forever. But I would want to inform all around that there are shop-keepers who have the guts to say something of that sort.

I mean you go to any haute couture store in the posh district of Paris there they would still not treat you like this. For the first time in my life I felt insulted in a true sense. I, of course, shall not ever be buying from that place but will make sure that I deter as many people as I can from doing so.

I hope all the women of Ahmedabad be listening me in the right perspective. I would truly want to see the shutters close down on that shop hurt, angry and annoyed.


NIrav Bhagat

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About

Related Posts with Thumbnails